Aboard Noah's Blog

News, information, and chatter about collectible items with animal themes, as well as some facts, figures and fun related to pets and wildlife.

Location: Mentor, Ohio, United States
Noah's Blog Sponsors

Friday, February 17, 2006

Yipping pets save the day in Oklahoma Fire

By Molly Payne
Lifestyles Editor for The Cushing Daily Citizen

Neighbors in Cushing awoke to the sound of destruction early Thursday.

At 3:17 a.m. calls came in to the Fire Department reporting a fire in the 800 block of E. Third. The one-story, brick home of Margie Roe was extensively damaged, and the 1999 Chevy Malibu parked in front of the house was destroyed. Firefighters said they were on the scene for more than two hours.

One neighbor who lives a couple of blocks over was said to have heard the car explode.

Neighbor Jackie Mattison said her dogs woke her, and when she looked outside, "It looked like the whole world was on fire."

Margie Roe wasn't home when the fire broke out, but her son and his girlfriend were asleep in the back room. "If it weren't for my dogs, Maggie and Duchess, they might not have had time to escape," said Roe.

Her son, Paul, and his girlfriend, were the only ones in the house at the time of the fire. "I've complained about Paul sleeping with those dogs, but I may never complain again," she said.

Awakening to the yipping of the dogs, Paul Roe opened the bedroom door, only to see a huge fireball. He quickly woke his girlfriend, grabbed the dogs and they all escaped through a back window.

The house had recently been remodeled, Margie Roe said. What was once a newly tiled kitchen is now nothing but charred remains. Remarkably, the only thing unharmed in the living room was the table holding Grandma's open Bible.

According to Assistant Fire Chief Brent Kerr, the total loss is estimated at $120,000. The fire was still under investigation late Thursday.


Post a Comment

<< Home