Aboard Noah's Blog

News, information, and chatter about collectible items with animal themes, as well as some facts, figures and fun related to pets and wildlife.

Name:
Location: Mentor, Ohio, United States
Noah's Blog Sponsors


Thursday, December 29, 2005

Dog stays by man's side after gully plunge

A man stuck on a mountain overnight after falling down a gully has told how his faithful dog did not leave his side.

Jonathon Harrington was walking on Cadair Idris, in Snowdonia, on Christmas Day when he fell down the 30ft gully.

A search was launched but rescuers did not find Mr Harrington for more than 20 hours, and he spent Christmas night in agony.

His only company was Prince, a 15-year-old sheepdog, who cuddled up to his owner and guarded him.

Mr Harrington, of Brecon, Wales, said: "Prince wasn't injured but he was very cold.

"He was beside me when the rescuers arrived and he growled at them - he was obviously trying to protect me."

The experienced climber suffered head and spinal injuries which could stop him walking.

Mr Harrington was treated in Bangor Hospital and was due to be transferred to a spinal injuries unit in Oswestry, Shropshire.

He added: "I am here because of my own stupidity. I set off up the mountain too late in the day and didn't give myself enough time to get down in daylight. I lost the path and as it got dark I realised I had left my torch in the car."

He thanked his rescuers and warned other walkers to plan trips carefully.

This article: http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=2468842005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home